Strategies to Work on Unknown Words
- Tell your child to look at the picture.
- Tell your child to look for chunks in the word, such as “it” in “sit,” “all” in “small,” and “ing” in “jumping.”
- Ask your child to get their mouth ready to say the word by shaping their mouth for the beginning letter.
- Ask your child if the word looks like a word they already know. Does could look like should?
- Ask your child to go on and read to the end of the sentence. Often by reading the other words in context, they will be able to figure out the unknown word.
- If your child says the wrong word while reading, ask questions like: Does it make sense? Does it sound right? Does it look right?